Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with. -W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

I mentioned that my birthday last month wasn't all that great. Yes, I know I have talked a lot about turning 22 and all, but for some reason it's just seemed bigger than other points in my life. Anyway it wasn't that great with my family because I saw my brothers and sisters all around me and listened to their conversations. There was this realization that I had nothing to relate with them about. They all have spouses, homes, landscaping, and kids as the topics of the conversation and I have nothing to say about any of it because I'm just not there yet.

It's a tradition in our family to go to a high school close by and watch fireworks on the 3rd of July. I had a lot of those same feelings from my birthday, but I guess I appreciate more about where I am right now. A light turned on. I am the cool aunt. When I went on a walk with two of my nieces and they ate it up. Walking with them. When we got back, I found out one of my nephews was asking where "his Carrie" was. Everyone wants to take a picture with me. The girls changed how they were wearing their glowing things to look like me. When I danced with the group of kids, it was impressive to them rather than being a parent and having it be embarrassing. I'll have that spouse, home, landscaping, and kids someday. Still hopefully sooner than later, but I want to soak up every moment that I have where I am.

No comments: