Sunday, January 21, 2007

The true meaning of religion is thus not simply morality, but morality touched by emotion. -Matthew Arnold (1822-1888)

As I stepped inside the church today and heard the last strains of the opening hymn start to fade, I realized how at home I felt. It is a realization I have had before and that has held true through the various stages of my life. I have not always been consistant as a church goer. There have been times I have outrightly gone against what I have been taught growing up. There have been times that I was so sure of what I knew that I could tell when other people heard it they knew that it was what I believe without me saying anything pertaining to religion. There have been times I have been hurt or alienated by those same people sitting in the pews all around me. All in all, I still feel home.

While I certainly do not give myself the credit of being able to tell anyone else how to find their heart and their "home", I have found that the comfort and warmth that I find in attending church services is that they are truly personal to me. I do not go for my mother or father. I do not go so other people can see me there or to keep up appearances. I go because it is what I want to do. It strengthens my relationship with God, my Heavenly Father. I am a daughter of a King, with a Saviour that knows me personally and whom I can rely on. No matter where I find myself or whatever decisions I make, that always stays true.

No comments: