Sunday, March 11, 2007

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. -Oscar WIlde (1884-1900)

My first instinct is to scream. At the same time I know I should do rather than what I want to do.

Sunday school was great I don't remember the last time everyone so openly participated and it was a wonderful discussion. It has been such a blessing having a young adults class separate from the other gospel doctrine. I am being taught by me peers who are experiencing the same things. If only that feeling could have carried over to Relief Society.

I took the seat that my mother had saved for me in the Relief Society room just as the announcements began. After the first one I overheard a hushed comment between to women made that at first I wasn't sure I had actually understood correctly. It was not directed toward me, it was not about me specifically, but it was entirely offensive. I turned my head without thinking out of shock. After seeing whom it was between, I knew that I had heard it. When I turned my head forward again I heard the whisper, "Oops."

I stood and I couldn't distinguish what the whispers were as I headed towards the door, but it didn't matter. That would say what they did about anyone, even someone who has been very open with the struggles they have had, someone who especially needed their love and caring both broke my heart and enraged me. Sweet "Logan" must have thought that he ran into tornado in the hall.

The walk home was cool and the breeze mixed with the sun was beautiful and made me think of this past week. It is almost as if I had been preparing for that moment when I would overhear those words. My thoughts, my scripture study, the institute lesson, the conversations I had with others, everything. I originally thought it was because of what happened with Jay, but now I find that it may have been for another end. . . I know that I should forgive without anything else necessary. In the parable of the debtor it says "he frankly forgave" and it was no small debt (Luke 7:42). I remember writing that down when I read it and retracing the words in my notebook.


I do not want to be the debtor who could not forgive such a small amount. I do not want to have the weight of all my debt, my shortcoming and sins, still with me because I could not forgive someone else. I know that an apology will most likely come from either of these ladies. Maybe they don't think they did anything wrong, however my forgiveness is still required. I pray that something so small will not make me bitter or even leave me open to being open to say things like those two women did.

No comments: