Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Never have I considered myself to be a very opinionated person. I think that I may have had a false self-image though. Tonight David and I went on a date and during dinner we got into quite a "discussion". It wasn't hostile in any personal way, but we had very polar views. I believe part of my resistance to give at all in what I was saying was in trying to break into David's reserved manner and get a rise out of him, but in all actuality I had an opionion. That's kind of a new thing. So many times before, I let people walk all over me. If they kept talking long enough, I would give in just to ease the tension, but I was not willing to do that tonight and I enjoyed the power it brought out from within me.

Oh, considerate David. We took a walk over to Barnes & Noble which is retail heaven for me. I find myself giddy when I let my eyes wander over all of the books. The stacks and rows of classic works. . .sigh. . . there is so much beauty. As you may have realized, I'm not always the most intellectual soul and although I try, some depths of meaning elude me. With books I can read and re-read and then read about and then guess and read again later and find something new. Not many things are better than that! I am a bona fide bookworm. I was trying to decide which purchase to make between two books when David offered, well more stated, that he was going to buy one of them for me. It was very thoughtful and appreciated. I wasn't expecting it.

Bowling is probably one of my favorite things to do. At one point I was bowling 5-6 games a week. I have no special talent for it and in all honesty, I'm terrible. Somehow I have the best time losing though! Tonight David and I decided to pick up a couple of games. We were starting a game when a faily nondescript group came to the lane beside ours. I realized that among the group there was "Krista" who I worked with my first Christmas season at Seagull. We said our "hello"s and "what have you been up to"s and played our respective games. As we were leaving and passed the group to leave I found out that David knew someone in the group too. We'll call her "Anita."

Anita is on of AP's best friend's. Before David and I even really started getting to know each other, AP had told me that Anita and David had been quite the heavy texters for a while. There was even a beginning of a relationship there. It never went anywhere really, but I could see her size me up and heard the flippant tone when she spoke to David.

It may have been a carry over from our dinner conversation, but I didn't feel intimidated. She saw me as competition. I saw her as hilarious. The poor girl probably thought I was smiling to match her overly-large fake smile, but really I was laughing at the situation. I was tempted to get super-close to David and play it up, but I think that would send David in a direction that I wasn't sure I wanted to head. Neither of them had an idea that I knew about their history, so I let it go. It was a pleasant ride home.

I hate to say it, but apparently the table that I placed my heart on is the exact table that a baby grand piano was set to be dropped upon. . . and I think a concert grand is being put in position now. . . . Lame. At this point I do not know that I have been just action, but that theory seems to have the most evidence to back it up. Again. . . . Lame.

Guys, guys, guys. . . Although they are definitely not the center of my life they are either the center of my problems or indecision. For the time being I am determined to be open from here on out. I am looking forward to my date Friday and am also okay with the fact that next week or the next month I may not have one at all. <3>
Sunday, however I received a note in the mail from the sister who had done the offending. I shouldn't be so quick to judge. It serves me right to be wrong.

No comments: