Friday, May 4, 2007

The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. -Frances Willard (1839-1898)

I just ate an entire bowl of homemade white chocolate popcorn that was delicious as only something that is so horrible for you can be. The dilemma is that I did not find my answer before I got to the bottom. It is probably best to start from a somewhat beginning:

Work has not been very enjoyable of late and after some soul-searching and a locked in job offer somewhere else, I decided to put in my two weeks. Tuesday, my day off actually, I went in and talked to my manager "Helga". I think she was surprised at what I had to say in spite of her saying, "I've noticed you've been unhappy". She then began to say how much she appreciated me and all the work I have put into my position. Also that she has seen how much I have improved the systems we have in place an such. Helga talked about her own frustrations and that she can see where I am coming from. I thought it was sweet of her to give me a kind of "you did well and we wish you the best speech" then she said, "I would really hate to lose you and why don't we see what we can work out."

. . . What? . . . She said she needed to speak with our district manager and that she asked that I not make any final decisions until the next day. She took the time to call me later that night and to convey how much the D.M. appreciated me and to ask how much my hourly pay was because she could not remember. I thanked her and gave her the information that she needed and said good-bye.

Yesterday was her day off and today when we were both working in the office she sat me down and we touched base with each other as far as projects we were working on and then she told me that if I were to stay that they would give me a $ .75 an hour raise. I took it in and let her know that I would factor that into my considerations.

That complicates things a little bit. I mean the job I would be heading to is a pretty dramatic pay cut anyway, but I have to wonder how much it could get better at the store. It is hectic with Mother's Day coming up, but that is not why I felt like I should leave. Was this the reason I felt I needed to put in my two weeks? That this opportunity was waiting to open up for me?

Should I fold and stick around, or make ends meet?

What about school? How can I afford to pay for it without staying? How do I handle working both if I do stay?

Is this my opportunity to become more independent or will I become even more dependant upon money?

What happens if the other job is not a good fit for me?

So here I am, one delicious bowl of popcorn (which I am actually feeling really guilty about) later, and I have no answers.

I just hope that whatever decision I make, either right or wrong, I can take the consequences/blessings as they come.

No comments: