Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Everybody likes to go their own way--to choose their own time and manner of devotion. -Jane Austen (1775-1817)

I started, but didn't have time to finish a post on Tuesday to talk about how interesting it was to have a religious debate with someone of my same religion. Two nights later I found how interesting it was to explain my religious reasoning and beliefs to someone who was not.

I do not mind talking about being LDS. In my opinion, if you are scared to talk about something you believe in, you may want to reevaluate and see if you really believe what you say you do. That being said I was terrified of not talking about it, but about being inadequate in explaining why beliefs are as they are and how I feel about them. It is kind of a line upon line thing. There are doctrines that build from other doctrines and things that intertwine with each other.

In my head, I have this little map set of how things work. I have had my years in primary and Sunday School to figure it out and it just works, but trying to voice that in a cohesive manner to someone else was a little like trying to explain the process a diamond being made and having it come out as if it were just a lump of coal.

So "Adam", although I did not expect our conversation, I thank you. I hope you found something in it and that my beliefs have not put a wedge in our friendship.

No comments: